Forum home Fruit & veg

Plum tree pruning

Hi All,
I have recently planted a victoria plum and will be growing it using the esplier technique. However i think it first needs to be pruned but don't know where to start really and not sure whether now (May) is the right time to do it? It has never been pruned since I bought and planted it a couple of months ago. See photo.
Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,454
    Plums aren’t suitable for training as espaliers but you can fan train
    them ... this shows you how ...

https://www.kenmuir.co.uk/image/data/pdf/Growing%20Guides/Fan%20Trained%20Plums%20Final%20Reduced.pdf

However, I am concerned as to whether your tree will be happy long term with the paving so close to the trunk ... it will be very difficult to provide enough water and feed via that very tiny space. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi Dovefromabove, many thanks for your reply, it is very helpful. Consdering my tree was bought recently and is already a couple of years old at least, would you recommend I prune it right back to 2 main shoots now as per your guide and effectively start again? or do I need to treat this one differently?

Regarding the small space, I was in two minds about this but assumed it would be enough. I may well remove a couple of pavers to allow more space. Thanks for the tip!