Forum home Problem solving

Urgent problem. Plant looks yellow and horrible

My plant looks like it's dying and very unsightly. It's normally all green. How do I get it back to full health and how long will it takes.

Thanks a lot
Jan

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,449
    it's last year's growth, you should have new growth coming through. Cut off the old stuff but be careful not to cut into the new green growth at the base
    Devon.
  • But the whole plant looks yellow. Stem and leaves. Is it dying?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    The new growth at the bottom is the plant [probably - the pic isn't clear enough]. The yellow stuff needs cut off, as @Hostafan1 describes. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• So all the yellow stems need cutting off. (Pretty much the whole plant)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,509
    Some types of plant die off in the winter and start again in the spring.  Do as @Hostafan1 says … and give it a good watering and maybe a bit of fertiliser (Fish Blood and Bone is a good organic slow release fertiliser that will last for the whole summer) and show us a photo of the leaves when it starts to grow again and we'll (hopefully) tell you what it is and how to look after it properly.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• So all the yellow stems are dead/hopeless and need cutting/removing?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,509

Yes … that's it … but as Hostafan said, beware of cutting the new growth at the base.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,572
    Could we see a photo of the green at the bottom of the plant?  I'm not convinced it's the same plant.  The dead part looks like a dwarf bamboo...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Could we see a photo of the green at the bottom of the plant?  I'm not convinced it's the same plant.  The dead part looks like a dwarf bamboo...
    oh, you could be right!
    Devon.
    just "blown it up" You're right @Liriodendron.
    I think I see old flowers, so yes, it's probably dead
    Devon.