Forum home Plants

Erigeron - still so tiny

KmehKmeh Posts: 171
Evening 

I have grown some erigeron glaucus from seeds. This is my 2nd attempt and I got 1/3 of those sown to germinate - not great conversion but I will take it. 

They were planted at the beginning of april and are still a measly 1-3 cm. They've been inside in a lovely warm spot. I transplanted them into larger pots today but they seemed to have very little root system to them. 

Anyone out there have any tips on erigeron?

Many thanks 

• FireFire Posts: 18,921
    What kind of soil mix are you using? Lots of people recommend a very gritty, poor mix (as they grow in gravel, paving etc). But I put some into a high manure mix and they romped away happliy. Maybe try a slightly richer soil.

I understand they have a difficult germination rate, much easier to propagate by division (nick a bit from a friend).
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    You've probably moved them on too soon as well. If they weren't filling the pot with their root system, there's no point potting into bigger pots. Better to wait  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KmehKmeh Posts: 171
    @fire I started them off in 2/3 seedling compost mix, 1/3 perlite. It's been fine for most things but admittedly erigeron do seem to be a different beast of a seed.

@fairygirl - I was wondering whether they may have used up of the nutrients, plus I had 3 in a 5 x 5 cm pod - so thought maybe they needed more room. The lack of large roots clearly shows not the case, right?

• KmehKmeh Posts: 171
    The new pots are 1/5 grit but perhaps in should have done more? At 1-3 cm are they too small to put outside?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    If they had no real root system, it's always better to wait a while until they do. 
    I wouldn't put anything that size outside. Other people may have a different view though - it's not a plant I've ever grown from seed.
    It's completely different if something seeds in situ of course.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...