Forum home Plants

Acanthus Whitewater, sulking?

Hello, I have an Acanthus Whitewater, it’s planted in my tropical border in full sun. I bought it for it’s good height and large showy leaves. Unfortunately it has never grown more than 3 inches in height, nice healthy white leaves ready to unfurl, looks like a small cabbage but it never grows any bigger, I’ve read it can be a bit of a thug in the border but mine is a perpetual wimp. I’ve tried everything from lots of water to neglect, I mulch the border heavily every autumn but it won’t budge, does anyone have any ideas, please!  Janette. Lincolnshire Wolds.

• Problem solving
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge Posts: 2,666
    Most people can't stop them from becoming a nuisance. How odd. Can you upload a few photos to see the overall area and the actual plant, may give us some idea. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • berginjim5berginjim5 Posts: 46
    that's mad there is one growing in some spare ground near me and it always does well , the ground is overgrown and untouched , maybe you have disturbed it ?
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003
    Maybe dig it up and loosen it's roots, if it had been potbound the roots might not be growing outwards?
  • I have never been able to grow White Water yet my Rue Leden is 4ft across. I think it's quite a weak plant.

• Thankyou for all your comments. I have recently moved it further back into the border, watered frequently, I have had this plant 2 years and this is the best it’s been. It’s a bit of a puzzle as I know it should be a large easy plant. It looks healthy enough,