Forum home Plants

Supports for young sweet peas

matthewplato91matthewplato91 Posts: 3
edited May 2020 in Plants
Hello, amateur gardener here! In April I sowed some sweet peas and they're now about two to three inches tall. I've recently transferred them to their (large) container tubs but I'm wondering when I should put some canes in as supports? I've seen some great ideas for building a basic pyramid structure as a frame and want to know if I should get on with it immediately, or if there is any reason why I should allow them to establish more height? Any tips welcome!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,882
    Hi @matthewplato91 - no, just get your supports in. Before you know it - they'll be all over the place  ;)

I put mine in before I plant, so that I can get the canes right down into the pots  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hi @Fairygirl thank you. Another Q, would you suggest tying the plants to the canes with some twine, or are sweet peas good at finding the supports themselves? Thanks!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,882
    Sorry - I didn't catch this earlier. I tend to tie in with soft string - they can go a bit haywire otherwise!
    I sometimes do a few 'turns' of string round the bottom foot  or so of the canes, and then just guide a few into the right spots. This kind of idea -

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...