Forum home Plants

Pruning Group - Clematis Rhapsody

NaseemBanuNaseemBanu Posts: 72
I'm somewhat confused - again!

I bought a Clematis Rhapsody plant thinking it was classed in Group 3 for pruning. However on some sites it's described as being in Group 2.

I bought it specifically because I want it as a companion plant for a climbing rose; the idea being that pruning would be easy. A good, clean prune in Spring.

Looking for reassurance that I should treat it as such. 

• K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    I'd go with 3 as recommended on Taylor's website.
    Most clematis can be treated as 3 if you need to.
  • NaseemBanuNaseemBanu Posts: 72
    Thank you K67. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,622
    I have 'Rhapsody' and I treat it as a 3... it's plenty vigorous and there's no way I would want to light prune as a 2..  you should also pinch out the growing tips to make it bushier and get more flowers... don't be afraid to do this, it improves clematis considerably..
    East Anglia, England
    Thank you for your advice Marlorena. Is the pinching advice applicable to all clematis or just the Rhapsody? 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,622
    @NaseemBanu
    ...I do it with all group 3's that I grow or have grown, that is viticellas and texensis types.... and later flowering group 2's.. I choose not to pinch out every stem, perhaps about half.. I also choose not to do it on early flowering group 2's or group 1's...
    I will also pinch out some on herbaceous..

...try it and see for yourself, this is how you learn...  as you see below, I pinched out the growing tip about half inch above the nodes.. what then happens is that the clematis produces 2 stems either side of the pinched out one,  so more flowers for you and rampant clematis are more contained that way..

East Anglia, England
    Thank you. That's very useful to know. Will give it a go.