Forum home Plants

Slow New Dawn Rose growth

My New Dawn Rose, which I bought in February to train underneath the base of the windowsill is taking its time to grow. It is in a large pot with some ranunculus. The ranunculus are still in their plastic containers but buried in to prevent the pot being too bare! I have been giving it a weekly mixed fertiliser/high nitrogen feed and water but still little heigh growth. The plant has flower buds so it can’t be too unhappy but I want more growth ASAP!

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,251
    ...the rose isn't slow, but I would say you are too impatient... you've only had it 3 months, it's just starting to grow... allow it to flower then you will see growth later...  your ''large'' pot is much too small for a rose like that anyway,... but I wish you the best of luck with it.. it's wickedly thorny and difficult to manage at the best of times.. see how you go...

I like your windowsill pots with various things in them.. 
  • Thank you! I tend to be a little impatient - I’m very new to gardening - only about a year in!

I had anticipated it growing like crazy from what I had read, so I was a little concerned when it had only but on an inch or two of growth despite doing almost everything by the book!

The plant pot is because the house is rented and I’m expecting to move in the next 6 months or so! Wanted to take it with me and plant in a more permanent spot when I get my own place. Just a location for growing on right now (in the biggest pot I could find) whilst making my garden as nice as possible in the interim!

The windowsill is full of chillis, peppers and cucumbers!

Thanks again for the help!
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,251
    @Lewis.warnock 
    ...that's great Lewis... planning for the future... best place for that rose will be in the ground.. I'm delighted you have that in mind... you should get some nice blooms this season before you move, by the looks of things...