Forum home Plants

Wildflower or Weed??

Dan111Dan111 Posts: 4
I have a small patch that i laid wildflower turf on last march/april. I got some wildflower colour last summer but this year seems to be dominated by these tall weed looking plants. Does anyone know what they are? I'm not sure if they are wildflowers yet to bloom or intrusive weeds coming through that need to be pulled. I'm fairly new at this so any help gratefuly recieved........

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,328
    I bought wildflower turf, I have some of the "basic" white daisies that have leaves like this, ALSO, some leaves which I thought were these, big clumps of them in borders, Hubby thought it was something I had planted, we desided to leave some and see what happened, it didnt have flowers, just these wierd little fluffy seed heads, so we dug them out, they had massive root systems, and came back with a vengance this year as well.
  • CebeCebe Posts: 14
    Possibly knapweed, which may well have been in your wildflower turf
  • Not ox eye daisy and possibly knapweed. These are loved by gold finches when the seed heads come.
    When you cut back the area in the autumn leave the cuttings for a few days to allow the seeds to come out and then rake up all the cuttings. Wild areas do not like rich soil and leaving the cuttings will lead to grasses taking over and the other wildflowers wont be able to compete.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,367
    Looks to me like Greater Knapweed Centaurea scabiosa. 
    I grow it in one of my borders. It can be quite an impressive plant and great wildlife value. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,243
    I've got greater knapweed, my original plants came from nut.
    Fishy65 said:
    I've got greater knapweed, my original plants came from nut.
    Snap! @Fishy65 😆 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,243
    Knapweed along with half a dozen other species  :)
    Fishy65 said:
    Knapweed along with half a dozen other species  :)
    Only half a dozen ?!?!?! 🤣 

• Dan111Dan111 Posts: 4
    Thanks all for your help. Seems like knapweed in that case. I can see the brown seed heads appearing. Looking forward the purple flowers! There is also this plant which has no seed head that i can see. Anyone care to have a go identifying?..........
  • Those last pictures look like evening primrose. Lovely plants.