Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato dilemma

I am growing some Gardeners Delight toms and a Shirley which I need to pot on to their final  containers. The problem I have is that I have been waiting for the right moment to do it, as the first flowers have yet to start to open, and now I am thinking perhaps I should get a move on and do it anyway as they look as if they are running out of nutrition. They were all sown on 1st of April are about 13 /14 inches tall and in 5 and 6 inch pots. The Shirley is starting to look a bit purplish in the veins and back of the lower leaves and the Gardeners delight look too pale green although otherwise ok. They are in multipurpose compost. Should I go ahead do you think or what else does anyone suggest? Also does any one add slow release fertiliser to their pots. I have not, but wondered if I should? I'm sorry if it is a daft question but I'm hoping somebody could help me out! 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    edited 23 May
    Yes, I'd put them in their final containers now.  I do that as soon as I see the first tiny flower trusses forming.  No need to add fertilizer to the planting medium, just start feeding with a tomato feed as soon as you see the first tiny fruit has set.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,422
    I pot mine on soon as the roots look a bit crowded.
    You don't need to wait for flowers to appear or open.
    I'd suggest potting on asap.
    I wouldn't add slow release unless it's specifically for tomatoes.
    You're best off using a tomato feed such as Tomorite as per the instructions on the bottle
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl Posts: 15
    Many, many thanks Bob and Pete. I knew somebody would would have a sensible suggestion! I'm off to do it now!
  • Gardeners Delight will grow happily in a sunny spot in a veg bed. As for tomato feed, liquid seaweed or comfrey tea will do just as as well as any of the "official" tomato feeds.
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl Posts: 15
    Thanks Gary, I might just give that a go if I run out of pots and can find a suitable sunny space. Not easy this year!