Forum home Fruit & veg

ROMA TOMATO PLANT

Gurpreet_91Gurpreet_91 Posts: 5
edited 23 May in Fruit & veg
Hi I've started growing roma tomatoes in pots on my windowsill. Started out as a school project for my daughter.

Can someone please help me to identify what these brown spots are or is this treatable, I dont know what I'm looking at as this is my first plant I've grown.

Thankyou and kind regards, Gurpreet Singh.

• Gurpreet_91Gurpreet_91 Posts: 5

• tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 212
    Hello Gurpreet and welcome.  Your tomatoes look good apart from the brown bits.  Could be just a burn - is there any sign of life?  Don't spray them with water as they don't like it.  Just keep their feet wet.  Give them a chance.  Have fun!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    Do the containers have drainage holes (it doesn't seem so from the photos?)  If not, the roots will be sitting in water which can bring-on all sorts of fungal diseases, including leaf-spots.  If there are no holes, you'll need to make some ASAP and then sit the containers on a tray etc., to catch the excess water (or repot them into new containers which have drainage holes.)  Once that issue is resolved, they will probably perk-up and start growing unaffected leaves.  As @tuikowhai34 says, the spots could also be caused by water droplets on the leaves which should be always be avoided, but you must sort the drainage out for them to have a chance.  :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 212
    Never thought of that @BobTheGardener as I have always grown tomatoes in the ground.  Good sussing out!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,660
    Could be water or the recent cold snap ( even through double glazing) but as the rest of the leaf looks green they are ok.
    I too am growing Roma again this year. They make a very good cooking tomato for soups and sauces,  they can be eaten too as they are quite sweet, it's just the skin is a little thicker than regular tom's. I would just say they make quite a big plant , with large leaves, so you will need somewhere to put them that will accommodate this maybe 45cm wide, up to 30cm each side of the stem. I have mine in 45cm tubs and they usually overhang it. I hope this helps @Gurpreet_91 😁