Forum home Problem solving

Cannas. Your advice please

I have someone to help with my garden  Last year I asked her to lift the cannas and put into pots to overwinter in the garage. There were 3 large clumps and this is what I have done for the last few years. When I returned, she had divided all clumps up into 20 individual pots! I hadn't been specific enough. Anyway, most are happily growing on. Should I leave them in their pots and put in the ground, or take each of them out and put in ground? Just wondering do they need to get a bit more growing on them before going into the big wide world! Thanks 

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    How big are the pots and what are they potted in? Are you seeing the green shoots of leaves emerging or is it fully in leaf?
  • IrisloverIrislover Posts: 7
    Thank you for replying. The pots are a variety of sizes ranging from 6 -10ins in diam and about 8ins high. They were all sown in potting compost and are leafing nicely. They look healthy. 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,017
    I would start to pot them into larger pots and to give them a much beefier compost.
    They like lots of food and water.
    I keep some of mine in buckets [ hole cut in bottom ], they go in a mix of JI 3 and home made compost and they get fed every week. The ones I plant in the borders, get slightly less care, but still lots of water and food.
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,473
    If you live somewhere with a long growing season , ie mild, I'd plant them in the ground, if you're somewhere a bit tougher / shorter season, I'd leave them in bigger pots to beef up.
    Devon.
    Thanks both. Leaving in the pots for this year seems like a good plan. I will increase pot size and improve compost. I usually feed them regularly when in the borders so will continue. Fingers crossed I have flowers this year but the leaves are so beautiful so won’t be the end of the world if they don’t. Thank you again. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,473
    You'll get bigger, stronger plants if you remove emerging flower spikes as these use massive amounts of the plant's energy
    Devon.
    thank you Hostafan 1 I have just been to have another look at them Although I hadn’t wanted them split, if they recover well enough, there are 21 pots!!!!