Forum home Fruit & veg

growing from last year's fruit

REMF33REMF33 Posts: 91
I have a lot of seedlings from last year's chilli bomb fruits, but I now realized this is an F1 hybrid. Is there any point in me continuing with them? i.e. is there any chance of producing fruit at all?

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 729
    They will produce fruit yes, the only thing with a F1 hybrid is it is a first generation cross between the parents, so the genetics are not stable. When you plant the seeds you will get a mix of genetics meaning that the plants will probably not be like the ones you saved the seed from, instead you will get an interesting mix of different types.

This year I couldn't get hold of any Crown prince pumpkin seeds, so I planted some saved ones, it's an F1 so I may get some very weird and interesting pumpkins. and since I had Uchi kiri and a Halloween pumpkin growing in the same patch they may be very weird indeed!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    I'm doing exactly the same @Skandi - having to use seeds from Crown Prince fruit I grew last year.  It'll be interesting to see what we get!  Luckily, I did manage to to get a few fresh seeds of Hungarian Blue but haven't grown that variety before, although it seems quite similar from the photos and descriptions I've seen online.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 91
    Ok well I can live with weird and interesting! I shall, perhaps, not bite into the resulting fruit though. (Cherry bomb are a bit like peppadew. Mild enough to eat whole.) Thanks very much.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 729
    If you have space for it a bit of the weird and interesting is great! @BobTheGardener I have also got some "flat white boer" which was the closest I could find to Crown Prince this year, we'll have to compare  photos when we get that far!