Forum home Fruit & veg

What did I do right with this Pear tree?

owd potterowd potter Posts: 285
edited 23 May in Fruit & veg
Over the last couple years we have had a handful of fruit from this old pear tree and, as it was encroaching a bit I wont say I pruned it per se, but rather cut it back a little randomly.
As can be seen, it has taken the hump and overreacted this year!
Seems to be a lot of young fruits developing on the stems, and I'm wondering if I may need to thin these out to give them a chance to develop?
Should I also be feeding with something?
Would appreciate any comments and suggestions to maximise the crop this year.
TIA
Owd

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,169
    Thin them to a maximum of two fruits per cluster. There is likely to be a June drop yet, when many small fruits drop naturally.  I remove any damaged or misshapen fruits first. Some will look small and yellow, these will probably drop, but if not remove them.  You want to ain for the fruits to be able to grow without touching each other.  That way you get a smaller number of larger fruits. Left unthinned, you may get diseased fruit taking out the whole cluster. If not, you get a lot of small fruit of poorer quality.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 383
    I tend to find the June drop does the thinning
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,372
    I wait until after the June drop then remove a few more if needed. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• owd potterowd potter Posts: 285
    OK,
    I'll wait until end of June and then thin further as necessary.
    Thanks all