Forum home The potting shed

Monty's seaweed feed

BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 997
I know it's been mentioned before but I just say Monty feed his clematis with liquid seaweed. It was black! Does he even dilute it at all??

I thought it was bad to over feed.. 

• Giddy123Giddy123 Sheffield Posts: 341
    edited 22 May
    I thought that when he fed his tulips last week - it looked very dark coming out of the watering can
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    Given that it's television, it wouldn't surprise me if dye was added 'to enhance the viewer experience' ;)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 255
    edited 22 May
    Either it was visually enhanced or he used it neat.. that looked like it came straight out of the bottle! 
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 156
    I thought last week when he fed the tulips it looked rather dark. I compared this week when I seaweeded my plants and my water looked just slightly discoloured.

Would love to know the reason why Monty's seaweed feed is so dark
  • On a similar note...

I've often read that seaweed feed is better used as a tonic rather than a main source of nutrients, because it contains a lot of micro nutrients but is relatively low on the major nutrients. Monty always seem to use it as his only source of feed - and to see it used like that for thirsty and hungry plants like clematis surprised me. 

Am I getting it wrong?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,422
    Monty uses Maxicrop - I've seen the container, and he doesn't measure it, just a few glugs, then fills with water.
    I use the same stuff and mixed as instructed it looks black.
    As said above, it's not a complete fertilizer and has variable amounts of NPK (though little P & K) so it can't be sold as a fertilizer.
    I use it as a tonic on most of my plants from the seedling stage onward and I would recommend it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 79
    As it says on the bottle "a plant tonic" not a fertilizer, the New Zealand government took court action against Maxicrop saying it was useless as a fertilizer and stopped Maxicrop saying it was.
    I am surprised as when I lived near the seaside I used to collect seaweed above the tide line (semi rotted) and it was marvellous as a top dressing and used for potatoes it gave a very clean crop!

And no, the salt in it did not make the world come to an end!