Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple seedlings?

Just put my apple tree in the ground, thanks for the tips @pansyface

I now have little seedlings that were growing at the base, they look like apple but PLEASE tell me if wrong as I don't want to be growing weeds in a pot!

Will they have the same genetics as the rootstock, or are they more likely to have sprouted from last years fruit? 

Thanks, hope you can help 

Ben

• BenTheBeginner said:

I now have little seedlings that were growing at the base, they look like apple but PLEASE tell me if wrong as I don't want to be growing weeds in a pot!

Will they have the same genetics as the rootstock, or are they more likely to have sprouted from last years fruit? 

Ben

Ben
    Here is the picture 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 729
    Do you mean the plants in the saucer? they are not apples, some type of willowherb I think
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 94
    Yup, the things in the plate are weeds. If you like them, you can have all the ones I've been carefully growing in my block paving  :/
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,422
    The long young plant in the black pot looks very much like an apple seedling to me.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Skandi said:
    Do you mean the plants in the saucer? they are not apples, some type of willowherb I think
    Thank you