Forum home Problem solving

Wind scorched Black Bamboo

I planted 3 large black bamboo in a large planter for screening but unfortunately the wind is getting to them.  They are getting very wind scorched and I'm worried I've lost them.  Was thinking of trying to put a screen to stop the wind coming down the side of the house.  I water them regularly but no new growths evident.....Planted them last autumn.  Any advice welcome.

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,306
    Can you post a picture of them...good to see the size of the pots and their current state of non growth. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    Three in one planter is a problem - unless the planter is metres long and a few feet deep.
    Wind in itself isn't a problem for bamboo, as they can cope with a bit of frying and frazzling, but not getting enough water is.  If there isn't enough soil to sustain them, they can't take up enough water either, and foliage will suffer.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I will,  thank you.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,451
    I'd say if they had enough water, they'll stand up to nay amount of wind. 
    Seems they've been a bit on the dry side.
    Devon.
  • I neglected them over winter but thought they would be okay.  Have watered them a lot lately with the hose...thanks
    the foliage still loses water during winter. 
    A salutary lesson methinks

Devon.
  • Hostafan1 - do you think they'll survive? I've top fed them and water them regularly....?
    Yes I do think they'll survive and new growth should start soon. 
    Devon.
    BTW, love the Majorelle inspired colour scheme
    Devon.