Forum home Problem solving

What are these things??

Hi all

I hope you can help.

I'm very much a new gardener. I have some dwarf lavender growing in planters, and over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a good number of these little guys seemingly feeding on the buds - which have sadly turned grey and brittle as a result.

Any ideas what they are, and how best to treat the problem? They don't look like anything I have come across when looking up lavender pests (such as rosemary beetles, froghoppers, etc). They have a deep blue colour with vivid yellow markings down each side:

Pleas help me save my lovely lavender before it's too late!

Thanks in advance

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    edited May 2020
    Ladybird larva, a gardeners best friend! :)
    They eat only aphids (greenfly) and you want as many of them in your garden as you can get.  Their presence means aphids are feeding on your plants and these industrious little carnivores will clear those up for you in a matter of days.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    edited May 2020
    Lucky you!
    They do look like they would be something nasty - but they're a great asset in a garden, as @BobTheGardener describes.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• adamadamantadamadamant Posts: 202
    Yes, ladybird larvae. cherish them!
  • liam1bellliam1bell Posts: 2
    Wow! That seems like something any self respecting 7 year old should have recognised 🤣

Thank you all so much. Is it likely then that the aphids are responsible for my newly-washed-out lavender buds?
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,411
    I got a fright seeing one the other day until I remembered. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.