Forum home Fruit & veg

Golden Kiwi vine accidentally cut at its base, need advice

Hello i have a collection of 3 year old Golden kiwi vines which are my pride and joy, unfortunately my brother accidentally strimmed one of them 4" above its base last night, serving it in two, and peeling of 4" of bark.

I really would love to save the Kiwi vine so i researched how to do so and ended up using the tape method (i only have duct tape), lucky the two parts of the stem line up perfectly as it is already supported by the trellis and i have joined them back together.

My question to you is, will it survive using the tape method and the fact that 4" of bark is missing :neutral:  

What other options do i have ? Can i just prune off the entire vine from the stem and it will regrow or anything else ?

My kiwi vines mean a lot to me and i have waited years for them to fruit, not that they have fruited yet but they should this year and i will be devastated if it dies :( 

• husqvarna1990husqvarna1990 Posts: 4
    edited 22 May

• She looks unhappy :(
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,952
    It is very unlikely it will survive.
    It might be worth cutting back a lot of the top growth, to "give it less work to do ", but there is nothing else you can do.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 212
    Oh dear!  You did the best thing available.  I used to summer graft kiwi vines for export to Japan but they wouldn't start to grow until well into the autumn.  Quite frankly, I doubt if the sap will rise to nourish the rest of the branches, but you may find they could start growing again from the cut off point.  I imagine they were grafted?
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    I've not grown that particular kiwi variety but of the ones I have, they have all come back even after trying to dig all of the roots out, so I'm sure it will send up new growth.
    However, I'm in agreement with the others - no way will the severed section survive IMO.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • husqvarna1990husqvarna1990 Posts: 4
    edited 22 May
    but grafted, i have a rusty Stanley blade and a scalpel blade covered in solder flux so instead of using my dirty - contaminated blades i just cleaned the cut with water and joined them back together but its is a flush join. Should i queue up at my local garden store (1-2 hour queues) and get a new sharp blade so can make it as flush as can be ?
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 882
    I feel for you...but can't imagine this surgery will save the patient. Plant material doesn't work that way, especially when you have a total severance. Better off asking for a bottle of champagne as a compensation from your brother and wait for some new growth in the coming months. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 94
    Try putting honey around the join as well, the anti fungal/bacterial properties will help. As amancalledgeorge says, plants don't really work this way, but the honey trick can save partially broken branches. I've used it to save a tomato vine that almost cleanly broke off under it's weight.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,372
    I’d clear the grass etc well away from the base of The rest of your plants so The Strimmer Man has no excuse to go anywhere near them ever again. 

Good luck 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh