Forum home Plants

Cornus Kousa Miss Satomi

Lynne102Lynne102 Posts: 4
My Cornus Miss Satomi which I have had for about 6 years has started to produce white flowers, (bracts) as well as the normal pink and white. Has anybody heard of this happening and can it revert to white? See image attached.

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 882
    Let's bump this to the first page in case anyone has encountered it with their own specimens. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,169
    edited 22 May
    Can you trace that white flowered stem back to the base?   It is possible it is grafted on to a Cornus kousa chinensis rootstock, and that could produce suckers from below ground. If so , you need to remove that stem as low as you can go.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lynne102Lynne102 Posts: 4
    I will look at it tomorrow and come back on that
  • Lynne102Lynne102 Posts: 4
    I never realised that it was grafted, I always thought it had been bred! 
    I have a main stem, about 3 inches diameter, which looks as if it has been grafted with three stems branching off above, all of which have pink/white bracts. There are also three stems coming from below the graft, between 1 inch and 2 inches diameter,  which are very vigorous and have either no bracts or white bracts only. I think it could severely damage the plant if I tear off the the three “suckers” all at once so I am thinking I will cut them back, remove one sucker now and the others at a later date keeping them under control in the meantime. Does anybody have any comments or alternative suggestions.