Forum home Plants

How many times a year do hedges need cutting?

HalsterHalster Posts: 11
Rooky question I realise ... but we are having to rent my Dad's house out and need to price in garden maintenance as part of the rent. Its a big garden surrounded by hawthorn hedges - how many times a year should they be cut and when?  Any help gratefully received. My Dad's had a stroke so sadly can't tell me himself.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872
    edited May 2020
    Hi @Halster - normally hawthorn doesn't need too much clipping, but it depends just how tidy you need, or want,  it to be. Usually it would get done maybe three times, or a little more if you want it really tight.
    I have a blackthorn hedge, so quite similar, and I probably do it about three times, plus the odd lighter tidy up when some wayward bits get wild. 

I just noticed you also asked when. It's usually around now they get their first cut, but birds often nest in them so you have to wait until they've fledged and gone. 
    Hope that's a little help. Difficult time for you. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • HalsterHalster Posts: 11
    Thanks Fairygirl, very helpful, much appreciated.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813
    I emailed the man from RSPB to ask the same question........he lives in The Hebrides....and he said as there are Magpies about its best to leave it until Mud Summer before you cut the hedge as it exposes the fledglings to attack.

I wait until my birthday..........June 13th as its easy to remember
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.