Forum home Problem solving

Help! Newly planted red robin dying

edited May 2020 in Problem solving
Hi - hoping you can help!
We planted a red robin bush around 3 weeks ago, and since it’s started to wilt and now the leaves are starting to turn brown - it’s not looking good!

It’s planted in dry soil, partial shade, we’ve been watering it 2/3 times a day with the hot weather, the only thing we can think of is that he seems to not like the wind, but any advice?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    It won't like the wind. How much water have you been giving it? A bucketful at the root area or more once a day is much better than little dribbles that only wet the surface more frequently, until it gets its roots down deep. I have a "little red robin" that's been in two years almost, planted with lots of compost worked into the soil,and it still looks rough and sulks in dry spells. I think they just don't like dry sandy soil (but it was part of a "x plants for £y" offer and I needed to make up the numbers).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    Definitely - a bucket of water in at the base, and then leave it for a couple of days before repeating.

They can be iffy at the best of times. Most of them round here look dreadful - all the time. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you both! Will try more water, I’m thinking it could be the wind too, as it’s definitely looking to be very sad today as we seem to be experiencing gale force winds here! :)