Forum home The potting shed

Is there a potting compost without fertiliser?

jucati1198jucati1198 Buckinghamshire Posts: 50
Can anyone recommend a potting compost brand that doesn't have added fertilizer? I want to take control of my fertilisers and all the PMC potting mixes in our local nurseries have added fertiliser. I want to use my own from the beginning and not wait for 6 weeks. Also, some of the plants I grow don't like much fertiliser anyway. Thank you! :)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,664
    What plants do you grow that don’t need fertiliser? Perhaps if you listed them people could recommend the correct soil for you.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Proteas grow in very nutrient poor soil, so Protea compost should suit you. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,422
    One of the local nurseries here uses and sells Bulrush compost one option is nutrient free
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,158
    Look for green waste compost produced by councils from green waste collections. You may need to rethink your basic idea though, all composts have their own native and highly variable NPK balance derived from the original materials used. None have no fertiliser though. You could make your from garden soil and home made compost but it will be impossible to accurately control the initial fertility.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,028
    Seed compost probably has the least , or aquatic compost.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,664
    In another post the OP had potted on a plant in MPC and added 3 different fertilisers at the same time, I’d like to know what plants they have that doesn’t need any at all. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    In another post the OP had potted on a plant in MPC and added 3 different fertilisers at the same time, I’d like to know what plants they have that doesn’t need any at all. 
    Hmmm. Strange....

• jucati1198jucati1198 Buckinghamshire Posts: 50
    @Lyn I have several Agastaches and Slavia Gregii that I had grown in containers for the past 2 seasons. I had a mix of advice in terms of how to feed them in containers which I followed and they had all sorts of yellowing and wilting etc year one. Last year I run a trial and didn't fertilize half of them but used a microbial tea instead and they thrived. I need new soil to plant them in larger pots this year, without fertilizer. 
    Thank you!
    Anything long term in pots need a soil based compost, not just compost. Makes it very difficult, no matter what type of plant. 
    Perennials will need dividing every few years too, to keep them thriving.

• jucati1198jucati1198 Buckinghamshire Posts: 50
    Lyn said:
    What plants do you grow that don’t need fertiliser? Perhaps if you listed them people could recommend the correct soil for you.
    @Lyn "don't like much fertiliser" not "don't need any" :wink: