Forum home Tools and techniques

Fibre pots

Hi, I have brought on seedlings in fibre pots (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc) with a view to planting them out in the pots so as not to disturb the rots. However, I am concerned that the pots, which remain very solid, may hinder onward root development. Does anyone have any experience or advice for me please? Thanks

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,515
    Yes we have used them in the past and thought the same as you that it would reduce root disturbance. However we found the plants very slow to get going and whilst we continued to use up the pots we had, on getting ready to  plant out we did open up the bottom (carefully) before putting them in the ground. This seemed to work a lot better.
  • twheelertwheeler Posts: 3
    Hi, that's very interesting to know - thank you for your help and quick response.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 997
    On a previous post I think it was concluded they're pretty much a waste of time.  The whole concept of them bio-degrading away to nothing proved in a majority of cases NOT to happen, to the extent they often have to be picked up and consigned to the next bonfire just to get rid of them.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    I think they're awful. 
    We have wet conditions, and I did a little trial of some a few years ago, after getting some as part of a present.
    Even with that wet soil, the plants just didn't thrive because the pots don't break down well enough for fine roots to push through.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    My grandson discovered the tiny fibre pots that M&S used for their seed offer were too biodegradable and disintegrated when moved. I'm not sure there is happy medium, either sturdy and useless or degradable and useless
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    I think that's exactly the problem @herbaceous. Not all plants have the same roots either, so a happy medium is difficult.
    Finding the right texture is an almost impossible job. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• twheelertwheeler Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for your really helpful advice; I shall steer clear of fibre pots.