Forum home The potting shed

Mystery fruit tree

Hi, I bought 3 patio fruit trees about 3 years ago. 1 a plum that fruited well last years. 2 a plum that's fruited well this year and the 3rd which had a few flowers for the first time this year but can only see 1 surviving fruit. When I bought them at the end of the season this one had lost it's label and hoping if I post a few photos someone may recognise it :)            Thanks for letting me Join Chris 

• The new growth and the stem's are reddish colour at first.
    Thank you in advance. 
  • The fruit looks like a young peach but the leaves are wrong.
    The stem being reddish could be Kiwi but again the leaves aren't quite right
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,045
    Could it be an apricot?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    edited 22 May
    I think possibly apricot, too.  Those have wider leaves than peaches and nectarines.  Those three trees all have fruit which starts out looking like the photo.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you for helping it did have about half a dozen flowers which were white with pink centres but produced nothing, the pear and the plum have lots of fruit on. Maybe next year :) because last year the plums never appeared either. Another though was maybe it was not a self pollinating or not hardy enough for a North Yorkshire Winter perhaps. Maybe leaving it  undercover with the fig this Winter could help. 
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 426
    Not that this helps....but we may have a race to see which tree fruits first....!
    Is this then the same leaf? A bit blurry, but its blowing a bit down here....

....and does this thread show the same flowers and bud patterns that you had?

All those buds and flowers have also produced nothing here as well...
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • Yeah very similar if it is an apricot the general feeling is they are one of the earliest fruit trees to flowers so can suffer from frost damage and also from flowering early can also  suffer from a lack of natural pollinators. So going forward 1, hope the one survivor survives and can then be identified later. 2, prune in late Summer. 3, Put it in the shed over Winter or maybe fleece,  but still remember to still water occasionally and  water well in the growing season apparently they like to keep their feet wet but well drained. 4, due to the lack of pollinators around go round with a soft brush from flower to flower, fine then fine misting afterwards.