Forum home Plants

Hydrangea

Karenchilton2000Karenchilton2000 Posts: 16
edited May 2020 in Plants
Hello

I've just taken on a house which has been left empty for over a year.  

There is a hydrangea in the garden and the majority of it looks dead.  Most visible flowers are brown including stems. 

There are some new leaves/ stems appearing further down.  

What is my best step for reviving this plant at this time of year,  without damaging it,  please? The last pruning it had was likely 2018.

Many thanks for your help. 

Karen

• PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 538
    edited May 2020
    Hi and welcome 

The brown flowers are last years flowers. They are kept on the Bush over winter and normally chopped back in spring. The old flowers protect the new growth and new flower buds from frost.

My hydrangea is massive as I dont cut it back far, I cut it back to the first lot of leaves below the dead flowers. 

When we moved into our house it was June and ours was just left. I cut it back and it was blooming within a week, although it is still a bit early yet for them to bloom (in our area anyway)
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Posts: 834
    edited May 2020
    Cut off the old flowers and prune the stems down a bit if you want, the new growth will then accelerate and you’ll get flowers later this summer hopefully. When they die, leave them on and then cut them off again next spring.
  • Thank you!
  • Brilliant!  I have the same query as regards number of hydrangeas!  Many thanks!