Forum home Plants

Fox and cat nuisance

Hi all, hope W everyone is staying safe and healthy in these times!

My garden has always been frequented by local foxes. And now to that has been added cats, who come sit underneath the bird feeder. I know for sure that foxes have before dig up the grounds several times to sometimes hide their catch - sometimes a bone or even once a dead bird. Yesterday I found a full chicken egg!

Recently this activity of digging across the garden has increased quite a lot and becoming a nuisance. Specially since now I am planting veggies. 

Can you please advise what can I do to deter these two. I cannot use strong chemicals as I have a newborn in the house and a sweet bird feeder. And I would hate it if it impacts the birds in any way!

• AlxNicAlxNic Posts: 259
    Good morning
    I have the same problem with cats - I used a cat deterrent water spray motion sensor. It was a lot of fun to set up and it worked to a certain degree but it means the water tap has to be connected and on all the time - well, at night.

I have no idea of it would work for foxes.
    I will be looking for idea from other people's replies

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    Yes - water scarecrow - only thing that works. It'll deter foxes too.
    Move it around now and again too. They're very persistent.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I also found just one post which suggested a cat repellant - but did not seem credible enough

Create a cat repellant mix - Add 2 cups white vinegar, 1 tablespoon whole cloves, 2 to 3 peeled and crushed garlic cloves, 2 to 3 hot peppers, 2 to 3 drops dishwashing liquid and black pepper to a spray bottle, and fill the rest of the bottle with water. Spray this repellent around your bird feeder to prevent cats from hanging around.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    I wouldn't waste my time @Deveshmittal.devesh  ;)

and you'd have to redo it constantly - every time it rained.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Yeah fair enough! regarding the rain :)

I was hoping that there are any pointed things i could maybe put in the pots atleast so that they dont dig it up
  • Hardcore chemicals are a no no in my opinion. I have two cats and the clove, water, lemon, chilli thing - no hope there, sorry! They just carry on being a nuisance regardless. I've just sown a bed of cosmos and the little shoots are now ruined. Really love my cats but hate them too LOL!
    The best is the motion spray water option every time. 
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Posts: 834
    Get a dog 😉
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,571
    Holly leaves work well on seed beds.
  • @FlyDragon - I wish. Unfortunately our society does not allow dogs. 
  • @fidgetbones - thank you. Let me try holly leaves