Forum home Wildlife gardening

New pond advice please

Hi,
I've dug a new pond, lined it and have flat rocks holding the liner in place.  I have created a bog garden and have put in lots of the plants that gardeners world recormmends.  However,  I'd like to have plants that hang over into the pond as I have quite a lot of exposed liner.  I've put marginal plants in and they cover up some of the liner and hopefully will grow, but I would like wildlife to be able to climb down too (I also put a plank in for frogs and birds (hopefully!).  Any suggestions please?  Thanks.

• mccallsmjmccallsmj Posts: 2
    Hi Philippa, that's perfect, thank you so much.  Will see how it likes Orkney.
  • Brookline is very good and quite fast growing.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,616
    Lysimachia ( creeping jenny ) works well for that - the yellow leaved one is somewhat more attractive than the plain green.
    Trouble is, it doesn't know when to stop. I've been spraying it with Roundup for 8 years since we moved here and it still pops up when i turn my back for a moment
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,538
    edited May 2020
    Brooklime grows in and all around my pond as Cfl mentions see top right of pic in front of the grass

Creeping thyme 4" and spreads quickly (bottom left)
    Dwarf Greek oregano 6"- works really well and especially good when in flower, but dies back to a few twiggy bits over winter. Self seeds easily. (middle right) That edge will be covered soon at last :)
    Both are smothered in bees when in flower

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Hostafan1 said:
    Lysimachia ( creeping jenny ) works well for that - the yellow leaved one is somewhat more attractive than the plain green.
    Trouble is, it doesn't know when to stop. I've been spraying it with Roundup for 8 years since we moved here and it still pops up when i turn my back for a moment
    I've been trying to get some since I moved and stupidly forgot to take a bit with me.  You might save me a bit for if I ever get down to Lyn's this year :) 
    how many acres of the stuff would you like?? lol
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292
    edited May 2020
    Hi @mccallsmj - lots of things will be fine - hostas, low grasses etc, but be prepared for a bit of experimentation as Orkney has quite different growing conditions from most places people on the forum are gardening in. 
    Anything soft, tall and blousy will struggle. Some things simply won't make it through winter. If you can create a shelter belt further out to minimise wind/weather, that will enable you to grow more varieties of plants too. 
    There's a good site/supplier of alpines - some of which were raised in Orkney. I'll see if I can find it, as I've looked on it when searching for a couple of plants.  :)

Here you go - I think it's this one. Lots of things won't be available just now, but worth looking through the site and earmarking  ;)
    https://www.craigiehallnursery.co.uk/craigiehallnursery.html

I'm sure they could advise if something was unlikely to thrive too. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,975
    I love your pond @Pete.8  I want one like yours!  I have resurrected mine minus the fish and have a load of taddies in there at the moment.  I have sown watercress in a pot and submerged it (very gently).  I like the idea of growing herbs such as thyme and oregano - I would imagine they are in pots.  Here in the Mediterranean it hot and often we get a very drying wind which burns everything.  Can you suggest anything that I could try and grow, please?  Many thanks.  Tui  PS  Here is a photo of it last week.  Still to fill.  I have put some irises in pots.  Waiting on a solar fountain from Amazon.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,538
    Thanks Tui - Dwarf Greek Oregano would be very well suited to a Med. climate, the same for thyme. Both grow wild all over the Mediterranean and somehow seem to thrive on almost nothing. But they do need lots of sun.
    Sage and Rosemary would work too in a sunny spot.
    Your photo looks beautiful - very peaceful and tranquil and out of the hot sun.
    Mind you, we've had Mediterranean weather here for the last couple of months. No rain and barely a cloud in the sky for weeks on end.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,975
    edited May 2020
    Thank you @Pete.8  I have rosemary and sage growing and have taken some sage cuttings for neighbours but the pond is in the shade most of the day.  Oregano and Thyme being smaller plants would be ideal.   Hmmm  Will have to have a think about that one.  Here is a photo of one sage bush (I have others)  and rosemary (not the name of the dog!!).  She is in front of the thyme but I can take cuttings of oregano from a neighbour.  Goodo!!  Yes, I see by your weather forecast that "most" of you are having beautiful weather "most of the time". Makes growing a pleasure when there's sunny days.

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

Hostafan1 said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    how many acres of the stuff would you like?? lol
    If it's the yellow leaf job then half an acre will do me fine ;)
    what do I do with the rest of it?
    Devon.