Forum home Problem solving

New layed turf already dying

My newly layed turf started dying about a week after it was layed. 
The old awn was patchy and wild, soil was quite dry as well. Lots of other weeds growing through. The lawn was destroyed with a rotivator. Earth flattened as it had hills before. New law when it was layed was watered down on the next day, and I have continued it twice every day. 
As you can see, grass survived only where the trampoline is. 
Not sure what's the cause of it. 

• just.lucasjust.lucas Posts: 6
    Do you think it could be also due to the soil lacking nutrients? 
    I had a look at it when it was prepared for laying the turf and it didnt look good. Unlike the top soil you get from shops... this one was dry and not as dark. And the grass that was previously growing there was not in a good condition either. It's an old garden, hasn't been looked after for many years. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    I'd agree with @philippa smith2
    Dried out turf, uneven site, badly laid. 

When was it laid? That's been dying for a while I'm afraid. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

That has been layed a week before it ended as you can see on the pic. Do you think adding new layer of top soil and new turf would solve it ? (Pretty much doing the lawn anew)
    I doubt that will ever come to life, so it would be better removed. 
    As @philippa smith2  said - if you paid someone to do that, it's a shocker. 
    You can see how uneven the site is though. Unless it's properly prepped, it only makes it harder.
    The turf needs to be in good condition, properly moistened and green, and the soil it's being laid on needs to be of a decent standard, weed free, raked, levelled, firmed, then raked again. 

• beanie31beanie31 Posts: 15
    I think you’d be better off starting again, did you water it the day it was laid? X
    I watered it the next day. Around 14 hours after it was laid down as I didnt have the right hose conmections at the time. And the weather is quite hot now. The soil was dry too. So maybe more water will kinda restore it ? 
    I'd start again.
    Take a look at @beanie31's thread. That's how a lawn should look when it's laid.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1040057/newly-laid-turf-how-often-to-water/p1

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I think it's probably too late to save it now :(.
    How long did you water it for, each time? It wants a sprinkler on it for at least an hour per day, and longer in the warm weather we've been having for the last few days, not just the hose spraying over it for a bit. If you don't have a sprinkler it would be well worth getting one before you try again.
    Lost cause - the OP says it wasn't watered after planting [for fourteen hours] and that turf didn't look like it's been watered for ages before that either.
    Even left for that length of time without water, it wouldn't look like that if it was in good nick to start with. 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,306
    A total shocker...who actually laid it? If it's a professional they'd better sort it out free of charge. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow