Forum home Plants

Dwarf Jacaranda

AmphibiosAmphibios Posts: 158
edited May 2020 in Plants
Hi All, 

just saw this in my emails - I love the Fern like foliage of jacaronda and the blooms are lovely.
it looks like it’s ok to -2, are our winters mild enough? 
I think it’s one I’d wait on anyway - I’d want more information and experience about a tree before planting one. 
The pic was in the description but that doesn’t look very dwarf to me, this variety is supposed to only reach 1.5m.

what do you think? 

A x 

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    Well it depends whereabouts you are in the UK and if you get temps below -2! I love them but can’t grow them here (too high, too cold in winter) although they grow well in the milder coastal areas. If you can get an established, pot-grown specimen you may be able to grow it in a sheltered location and bring it in in winter, but cold, cold winds and poor drainage are killers. I don’t know much about the bonsai version (but that pic is definitely not one) as it’s pretty new. Some sites say it’s hardy to -5. We get down to -8 so not an option either!
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2020
    There is a dwarf one...Jacaranda mimosifolia Sakai01.
    Sadly I doubt summer will be hot enough to get the flowers.....but with climate change...who knows what the future holds?
    https://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/jacaranda-mimosifolia-sakai01

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jacaranda+mimosifolia+%E2%80%98Sakai01%E2%80%99&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB785GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBrdD9_sTpAhXTEcAKHd8-DPsQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=937

The ordinary one Jacaranda mimosifolia will grow HUGE.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • AmphibiosAmphibios Posts: 158
    @Nollie yeah I think it is one that you’d have to move when it got colder. Or only plant if you had somewhere sheltered in the garden. 

@Silver surfer that must be the one Sutton’s emailed about today. They were even touting it as plant of the year 2021 (can’t go in this year). 
    I was just trying to figure out whether it could be planted out or was a patio tree you’d have to move in winter. I guess it’s still an improvement on the wild type which is always going to be greenhouse grown here and ENORMOUS.