Forum home Problem solving

To weed or not to weed

LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 775
Hello everyone!

So i have this little sloping triangular corner at the bottom of the garden that i really have no idea what to do with yet so it's currently just a little dumping ground.

As you can see it's currently overgrowing with weeds but that actually adds a welcome but of green to the garden that mine currently lacks! 😀

Is there anything there that you'd immediately worry about, that could spread beyond that little corner quite quickly?

Thanks all!

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,627
    Most things will spread by seed, and the bindweed by underground roots.
  • LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 775
    @JennyJ i suppose my question was are there any glaring obviously super invasive ones in the photos i posted that i should worry about?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    Bindweed as @JennyJ indicated. 
    Can't see any of them well enough - the cleavers [sticky willy] are easy to pull out  [the stuff on the right] 
    Looks like dandelions on the left - the stuff sticking up, near the slabs.
    Some forget me nots I think too.They're ok if you like them.
    I'd get all of that out if it was mine.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Cheers @Fairygirl! Guess I'm going weeding!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,300
    It's a small space. I'd just clear out the lot.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    I can't see what the white ones is though. Pic isn't clear enough.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• sajasaja Posts: 5
    None of these look invasive from what I can see, although dandelions are quite difficult to remove as they have a long tap root.  The tall ones at the back look like Jack by the Hedge which orange tip butterflies lay their eggs on.  If you do decide to weed, cover the area with a few inches of mulch afterwards as the soil disturbance will expose new weed seeds to the light and you will be weeding all year!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,627
    My point was that you can get an awful lot of seedlings from a few weeds. I don't consider things that are easy to pull up to be particularly invasive, because they can be kept under control by regular weeding, little and often, but some people do.
    Thanks everyone!
    Update: it's cleared!