Forum home The potting shed

Marshalls

mrmhfmrmhf West MidlandsPosts: 344
edited 21 May in The potting shed
Has anyone purchased any veg plugs from Marshalls this year?

We placed a large order with Marshalls on March 27, 2020, for seeds and veg plugs for our new veg patch. At the time, they said they were experiencing delays as a result of Covid-19 and that orders would be despatched within 28 days. This timeline worked for us.

We’ve received a tiny portion of our order, with 60% still outstanding. We are now approaching 2 months since placing and paying for the order.

Has anyone else experienced these delays?

You can’t call them and they’ve not replied to a single email. The customer service has been appalling. I understand that Coronavirus has created an awful situation for businesses, but if you stay open and take payments surely you must have the processes in place to update people on their orders. It’s nearly June and I have no idea if my remaining veg plugs are still going to arrive.

Curious to know if others have been affected?

Based on this experience, I’ll never order from them again.

Our DIY & sustainability journey: My Home Farm

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,369
    I ordered Strawberry runners from DT Brown in December/January which were meant to be dispatched in April.  They arrived a couple of weeks ago.
    DT Brown did respond to my email query and they also updated the expected dispatch date on the order page so I was not left completely in the dark.
    Are you able to track your order at all ?  If so, you may at least get an idea of when you can expect your plug plants.
    Best of luck :)
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 882
    Yep me too https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1039348/oh-marshalls 

The refunded me for the petunias that came in sludge form...they are so overwhelmed with orders they can't offer any decent customer service currently. Maybe they should have followed the day cap idea for orders other sites instigated. Hopefully they'll learn from it and don't have to refund everyone. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,028
    Marshall's are notorious for this. They're ok for seeds.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• mrmhfmrmhf West MidlandsPosts: 344
    Fairygirl said:
    Marshall's are notorious for this. They're ok for seeds.
    Good to know. Will never buy from them again.

I ordered Strawberry runners from DT Brown in December/January which were meant to be dispatched in April.  They arrived a couple of weeks ago.
    DT Brown did respond to my email query and they also updated the expected dispatch date on the order page so I was not left completely in the dark.
    Are you able to track your order at all ?  If so, you may at least get an idea of when you can expect your plug plants.
    Best of luck :)
    I’ve always used DT Brown and wish I’d done so for this order.

With Marshalls you cant track anything. Stuff we’ve received is still saying it’s not been fulfilled. It’s an absolute mess.

They’re dead time me as a company. Will never order from them again.
    Yep me too https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1039348/oh-marshalls 

The refunded me for the petunias that came in sludge form...they are so overwhelmed with orders they can't offer any decent customer service currently. Maybe they should have followed the day cap idea for orders other sites instigated. Hopefully they'll learn from it and don't have to refund everyone. 
    Yeah, they’ve taken on too many orders - greedy business practice. The cucumbers that did arrive were a mess. I’ll give them another week, and then I’ll cancel my order. 

The lack of communication has been appalling. Being kept in the dark has been the worst part.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,028
    There's many threads re Marshalls and T&M etc on this forum - and that was before the current situation.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl said:
    There's many threads re Marshalls and T&M etc on this forum - and that was before the current situation.
    I wish I’d seen them. Still new to the forum and gardening. 

I’ll continue supporting DT Brown.
  • valerierobertsvalerieroberts Posts: 508
    Hi, reference Marshall’s my order of 12 geranium plants. When they arrived the plants looked as though they had been in the plastic holders a month. Dried up roots, yellow leaves and mouldy stems. I emailed  them on the condition of the plants, no reply. 
    Wont fall for that again. Valerie