Forum home Plants

Help with identification

ljsb15ljsb15 Posts: 3
I wonder if somebody could tell me what this plant is please.  This is the first year that it looks as if it’s going to flower too....absolutely love it and hope you can enlighten me.  I have attached a few pics.  Thank you.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    I think your plant may be Geranium Palmatum, Canary Island Geranium.
  • ljsb15ljsb15 Posts: 3
    Hi - thanks for your response...this plant has quite thick stems which branch out from a central core, I think geraniums are more delicate than this....in one of the pics (which aren’t as good as I’d have liked) you can see the stems coming up from the ground from a central core? 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    There is another Geranium that has stems like that. Geranium Maderense, Giant Herb Robert. They do get quite big and have thick stems.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    Treeface said:
    Doesn't look like the herb robert I have, those had reddish stems.
    Massive difference between the weed Geranium robertianum 
    and 
    The glorious flowering  Geranium maderense...giant herb Robert.
    Which is where common names can lead to confusion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Geranium+Maderense.&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi86c6vy8TpAhWGN8AKHVGjAP8Q_AUoAXoECBUQAw&biw=1920&bih=938
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • ljsb15ljsb15 Posts: 3
    Looking at it now, it does look like Geranium Maderense - this is the first year its produced flowers.  Once it does flower i think I will have more of an idea if this is what it is.  Many thanks for all of your help with this.