Forum home The potting shed

Any ideas what this is please?

markie6657markie6657 Alvechurch, WorcestershirePosts: 30
had this in the window this morning, very big over an inch long at not your run of the mill wasp. I've attached a couple of photos if anyone can put a name to it I'd appreciate it as we found a dead one in the house a couple of days ago too

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,372
    edited 20 May
    It’s a queen wasp ... I think it might be one of the Dolichovespula species  ... if you scroll down here you’ll find it. https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/insects-invertebrates/british-wasp-guide-how-to-identify-common-species-lifecycle-and-why-wasps-sting-in-autumn/

She’s hibernated somewhere in your house over the winter and now the weather is warmer she wants to get out and find a place to start a new colony. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• markie6657markie6657 Alvechurch, WorcestershirePosts: 30
    Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, that was a great help. As someone who reacts badly to wasp stings it's fair to say this rather put the wind up me the other day given its size!
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 212
    They have their place in the system, but they do kill the bees.  Hmmm.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,372
    Have you tried hanging a waspinator or two in your garden? I’ve not used them but I know a couple of cafes and places who have outside eating areas who swear by them to deter wasps from an area. 

If I had a problem with wasp stings I’d certainly give it a try. 

https://waspinator.co.uk/

(I have no connection to them)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 261
    We have a few large wasps appear every year, usually around April, in our study. They’re always very sleepy so easy to put outside. We’ve never worked seen them emerge from their hidey-hole to out where they are coming from.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • I think it is a hornet.