Forum home The potting shed

Fold down potting bench quote.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,902
I have been quoted £320 to have a fold down potting bench similar to this one made for me.Size would be 2ft deep x 4ft long.Does that sound about right?

https://www.thewoodgraincottage.com/2013/09/18/fold-up-potting-bench/
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• dave125dave125 Posts: 143
    That's exactly what I'm looking for but no way would I pay that, does anyone know if they come in kits?
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,902
    Will ask for a quote from another carpenter just to see if they can better that quote!
  • AmphibiosAmphibios Posts: 124
    edited 20 May
    @madpenguin the one in your pic is super luxe and gorgeous.
    I have been thinking about fold down tables like this: 

Clas Ohlson ® Wall Mounted Wooden Table, Indoor Outdoor Dining, Fold Away Design, Garden Furniture FSC® Acacia Wood - Size 75 cm x 60 cm x 90 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086C2L798/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XFvXEbBE8CF4S

Not sure if that would work and you may be able to put up yourself. Also says outdoor. 
    Amphibios said:
    @madpenguin the one in your pic is super luxe and gorgeous.
    This is the one I want!!
    It would be a working bench outside so has to be strong and durable.
    I cannot do it myself and all the people I would have asked in the past are all getting on a bit!Also no car for getting in materials.
    Just need to 'get a man in' to do it with no fuss.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    @madpenguin bear in mind that suitable wood like sawn Oak is about £60 to £70 per cubic foot so the raw materials will cost a fair bit then you have labour on top.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    @madpenguin bear in mind that suitable wood like sawn Oak is about £60 to £70 per cubic foot so the raw materials will cost a fair bit then you have labour on top.
    The quote is the total including labour.
    Don't think I would run to Oak but something durable and thickish not flimsy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,977
    @madpenguin, may I ask why you need a fold down one? I can almost guarantee you that after a week or so, you won't bother to put it up or down every time you want to use it. Far better IMO to spend that kind of money on a proper potting bench, I believe you can now get moveable ones. 
    Lizzie27 said:
    @madpenguin, may I ask why you need a fold down one? I can almost guarantee you that after a week or so, you won't bother to put it up or down every time you want to use it. Far better IMO to spend that kind of money on a proper potting bench, I believe you can now get moveable ones. 
    I want it fold down as I have nowhere to move a proper bench to and sometimes need the space where it would be positioned.
    Have thought a lot about this and a fold down one fits the bill for me.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    The quote is the total including labour.
    Don't think I would run to Oak but something durable and thickish not flimsy.

Yep, I realised that and was just pointing out that the total, although seemingly expensive, may not have been that far off the mark.  Hope you get a better quote from the other carpenter though!  :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Oak would be nice though  :)