Forum home Plants

Rhus Typhina- how to plant one without it dominating?

Hi all,

I'd love a Rhus (as would the rest of the UK at the moment seemingly- impossible to find!), but am weary about planting one in my relatively small garden only to regret it down the line..

Does anyone have experience with them? Would they be similar to bamboo in that they'd do well enough in a large, bottomless, sunken pot without sending out suckers under my lawn and house?!

Thanks!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923
    Don’t ever prune it ... that’s what seems to trigger it to sucker. 

I had a school friend whose father was gardener at a mini stately pile. In the garden of his cottage he had a row of Rhus typhina alongside a low wall where we girls used to sit and chat and listen to Radio Caroline on my little red tranny. We were forbidden to touch the trees ... for years and years the trees were fine ... until Mr E had an adored grandson who, one day kicked a ball into the trees and snapped a branch ... sure enough, within 12 months suckers were appearing in the immaculate lawn 😱

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AmphibiosAmphibios Posts: 158
    This is something I think about often. 
    I *think* I’ve talked myself out of planting one after looking at past posts on here. 
    If you do there is a potentially less virulent form that also grow smaller called Rhus Typhina tiger eyes that someone on the forum told me about. It might also be slightly happier with root constraint than wild form. 
    General consensus is that regardless of the treatment you will need to remain vigilant. 
    I’ve also thought about bamboo root fabric and about a sunken pot. Tapering will encourage roots to go to the surface. Best would be closed planter on concrete but I’m unsure how happy it would be depending on the size of planter 😁
    Ooh and found the post that I look at when I want to buy one. Look at the pictures 😅

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/2095562#Comment_2095562
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923
    Yes I remember that one 😱 

A Rhus Typhina would  suit this garden ... but it’s not going to happen. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    I'm going to start a new thread:  "Plants you love in other people's gardens, but you wouldn't plant in your own."
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    Got one.. well 300? Free to good homes, buyer digs up! I'm going to murder mine very soon, it's a shame it's planted next to lawn so not the worst place, but also right up against the barn wall, so it has to go it and all it's babies!
  • Thanks for the replies all.

Oh my goodness- that's crazy! I didn't realise they'd be THAT bad.

What about a sunken pot- something large, say 50l or more.. Surely it'd be fine there for a good few years?!
    @Gaughan.david it might be ok, someone on the forum might even have planted it in the conditions you describe and it’s fine so far.....
    It has a suckering habit and you just have to weigh up whether you are happy to deal with that eventuality if it happens.  I don’t think I am! 

Sorbus Olympic Flame was suggested by the forum and it’s the closest I’ve found. 

@Dovefromabove  I still love that angular asymmetry of Rhus, think I’ve talked myself out of it again 😉
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 1,107
    I’ve got 4 rhus. 3 in a massive container and 1 in the ground. No problems yet. I also have a few different types of bamboo, including sasa palmata, so clearly I’m mad! 
  • a1154 said:
    I’ve got 4 rhus. 3 in a massive container and 1 in the ground. No problems yet. I also have a few different types of bamboo, including sasa palmata, so clearly I’m mad! 
    Awesome!

Can I ask- how long have yours been in a container, and how massive is massive?.. also do you mean mean three plants in one container?