Forum home Fruit & veg

Name the plant?!

Hi all, 

Can anyone tell me what this is? I was given it as a courgette, however it looks very different to all of my other courgettes so I’m wondering if it could be something else? 

Thanks!

• jo.milesjo.miles Posts: 10

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,965
    Could be a cucumber.  But the difference between courgette, pumpkin family squash, butternut etc.) plants and cucumber are difficult. It's a wait and see situation!!

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,368
    My guess is cucumber ... but as @tuikowhai34 says ... it’s a ‘wait&see’ plant 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    There are some very strange cucurbits named 'courgettes', so it could well be a courgette:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,092
    That one does look like a cucumber! Could the labels have got swapped? I think it was  you who recently posted a pic of a gifted cucumber plant that looked more like a courgette?
    You may need to stake it.  Courgettes can either creep or bush out.  I find cucumbers tend to reach for the sky first!!

• jo.milesjo.miles Posts: 10
    Yes that was me! But the ‘cucumber’ (which is now fruiting and is definitely a courgette) was a lot further along when given to me and the courgettes were given by a different person, so I think they may have all got mixed up! 

I’ll be very happy if it is a cucumber as I was looking forward to seeing how well that did! So I should probably stake it? I was planning on planting it out today, is that a good idea or shall I wait until it is more established? 
    If the nights aren't too cold, you could probably plant it in the garden.  Your days seem warm enough!!!