Forum home Plants

Perennial bed - trying to be patient

LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,064
Hi everyone, again! 

I planted this bed of perenials back in early to mid April. Although everything seems to have taken, bar one plant, i don't seem to see a huge amount of growth. Virtually all the plants were bought in 9cm pots and planted out immediately. Here's what's been planted:

Sedum
Matrona
Molinia CaeruleaMoorhexe
Deschampsia cesptisoaGoldtau
PerovskiaBlue Spire
Echinacea
White Swan

Am i not likely to get a great deal of growth this year as the plants are still too young and putting down roots? If that is the case, what can i do to give the bed a bit of interest this year? Is it ok to just plant out a load of annuals? I have sowed seeds of Nigella, Nasturtium, Calendula and Cosmos in the cold frame, though probably not enough to fill this bed. 

Any thoughts much appreciated.
I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,318
    It looks very dry.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,064
    B3 said:
    It looks very dry.
    Was just about to put the sprinkler on it 😀
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,318
    😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I also think the photo makes it look worse than it is, i had a quick dig before putting the sprinkler on and it's still quite cool and damp just under the surface.
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003
    There's been a big drop of temperature at night up until now, should start romping away now the night temperature isn't dropping below 10...... Best thing is to keep photos, sometimes we don't realise how things progress, watched kettle and all that
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,834
    Nigella and Nasturtium are better sown direct. You'll have nigella for evermore if you let them seed too.
    ....and then just be patient. The plants have only been in the ground five minutes.... :D
    Plants of any kind can take two or three years to reach maturity from a small size. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    Mary370 said:
    There's been a big drop of temperature at night up until now, should start romping away now the night temperature isn't dropping below 10...... Best thing is to keep photos, sometimes we don't realise how things progress, watched kettle and all that
    OK, that's good news at least and will definitely keep taking pics

Fairygirl said:
    Nigella and Nasturtium are better sown direct. You'll have nigella for evermore if you let them seed too.
    ....and then just be patient. The plants have only been in the ground five minutes.... :D
    Plants of any kind can take two or three years to reach maturity from a small size. 
    Patience is the bit i struggle with but I do keep telling myself this is not an overnight things, I need a 5 - 10 year plan for this garden! In the big scheme of things though, you're right, they've barely been in the ground :smile:

I suppose the thing that got me worried was that there's other stuff I've got in containers that are zooming along and I just wasn't sure if these were lagging?

• My newly planted bed looks very similar. Most of the plants bought when very small. Only starting to notice a bit of growth on them in the last week or so but I think what’s said earlier about overnight temperatures is the main factor. Think I’m going to buy a few more spring flowering perennials and shrubs next year so I don’t feel so impatient 😅 
  • I planted my new perennial bed from bare roots which arrived last December and I kept them potted in the greenhouse. I planted out mid April (a bit later than intended as the bed wasn't ready). They are growing like mad but at different rates for different plants and I put in a soaker water system and water nearly every day. Some shot up then slowed down and others did very little and are just getting going. This is my first bed from scratch so I'm no expert and no idea if what I am doing is right or wrong
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge Posts: 2,663
    I find 9cm pot plants to be too small to plant directly in the ground. Tend to pot them on to a 1 or 2 litre pots to make them beefier so they can fend better for themselves in the ground. With garden centres and nurseries slowly opening maybe worth considering a couple of more mature plants to add a bit of height variation...and in time they'll reach their expected size and fill the bed. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow