Forum home Plants

Is this a clematis?

SunnyspotSunnyspot Posts: 59
hello everyone
i was lucky enough to have been given a largish plant believed to be clematis. Variety unknown. Does anyone recognise this from the leaf/ leaf shape as wanting to plant correct position / know how big it gets , pruning etc etc 
many help greatfully received 
sunnyspot

• SunnyspotSunnyspot Posts: 59

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    Doesn't look like Clematis, looks more like Virgina Creeper, which can be a thug, although looks nice in Autumn, depending on where you plant it.
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    That's a whopper! As for variety - montana maybe? Do you know when it flowers (perhaps it had some seed heads left on it)? 
    No unfortunately it was given to me by someone clearing garden who had moved to new house . They said they thought it was clematis?? But not sure now as Lorraine thinks might be creeper? I thought if I can be best identify what it is and how big gets so can choose best location 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,316
    My vote would be for clematis - probably montana, maybe a pink flowered variety (because the leaves are flushed red).
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
    Apparently one of the neighbours said had white flowers but couldn’t say exactly when flowered. It’s interesting as looking at clematis leaves mostly green and this has a definite red tinge 
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,468
    My Dad has Clematis montana "Tetrarose" and it has leaves like that. It's only a guess though.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
    Are they pink flowers?  I’m guessing full sun or partial shade for planting but would like to know variety if can and how big likely to get 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,970
    You will not be able to identify the variety without seeing the flowers.
    Most Montanas grow very large.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
    Do you think it’s a clematis punkdoc?