Forum home Plants

Patio plants and hanging baskets

mawallace44mawallace44 Posts: 60
I am looking for a hanging basket and also patio plants which flowers all year round.

Any suggestions of plants that I can put in the same pot would be appreciated 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge Posts: 2,669
    If such a thing existed...someone would have made a tonne of money. You'd probably need an evergreen centre of interest plant and to  swap in some annuals. You can get so many different forms of foliage to create interest in the winter months. A few plants would give you half a year of interest but nothing in nature gives year long flowers...it would be too freaky. Nature goes in cycles we can just curate moments in our gardens and pots. You didn't say anything about growing conditions. Is the area sunny or shady? How exposed is it to high winds? 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • mawallace44mawallace44 Posts: 60
    Its on a south facing .

Not heavily exposed to winds Very sunny on summer
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,350
    nothing in nature gives year long flowers...it would be too freaky
    I wanted to agree but then I remembered nemesias actually do flower for me year-round. I have plants that have been going three years without stopping... but they still don't look good in winter. And they are only hardy and able to do this in mild coastal locations.
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    .... Nature goes in cycles we can just curate moments in our gardens and pots. 
    Wow, that's deep! ;)
  • For year round you need several pots that each have a plant or two in season for different times of year and swop them round from front to back garden. That way no one sees dying tulips or daffs.
    Southampton 
  • FireFire Posts: 18,986
    You could alternate winter flowering and summer flowering pansies.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537
    You can get trailing Heucheras. Year round attractive foliage plus flowers in summer.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,536
    I have Sedum confusum in a basket.
    Yellow flowers right now and bright green foliage all year.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings