Forum home Plants

Hosta division

elspethscottelspethscott Posts: 222
Hello, I have a very healthy looking clump of hostas and would like to divide them and move some to an empty space elsewhere in the garden. Looking online the advice is to divide in August-but I’m too impatient! Would it be disastrous to divide them now? Thanks

• LTobyLToby Posts: 95
    It would be best to divide them in the early Spring time when their little shoots are just coming out.

Others may have a different insight ...
    Roxburgshire, Scotland
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,372
    That plant has formed a beautifully shaped clump. Dividing it now would spoil that. I’d split in the spring as @LToby has suggested. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TreefaceTreeface Posts: 200
    When I look at that plant I see 4 beautifully shaped clumps.

Whether or not they could be divided like that, I don't know. Not a fan of hostas. They remind me of old ladies and bad times.

• TreefaceTreeface Posts: 200
     Would it be disastrous to divide them now? Thanks
    The OP wants to know if they'll die.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,625
    Highly unlikely they'll die. Probably just sulk for a bit then perk up. 
    Make sure they're well watered before you lift, and keep well watered after.
    Devon.
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 237
    You could try putting a spade in where Treeface has suggested and cutting off some parts while leaving the rest. I've done this with a large leaved hosta and it recovered well.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,029
    I've often split them, and many other plants, in growth. It really depends on how you feel abut it where it is etc, and what you're planning. Easier when there isn't loads of foliage, but it certainly won't kill them.
    Follow @Hostafan1's advice re watering etc, and they'll be fine. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• rebeccamM6CA_Gn6rebeccamM6CA_Gn6 Beckenham, kentPosts: 57
    hello! I have just 7 days ago divided 4 Hostas from a nursery delivery into 8 plants, slicing through each root ball with a spade. To be frank it was bloody hard work and although I was concerned that I was killing them at the time as it felt so brutal - now they are all potted up and are simply loving life, with flowers coming along day by day. I say go for it! but do use a very sharp spade or knife to make to job easier and to avid any infection / damage...
  • elspethscottelspethscott Posts: 222
    Oh wow, thanks so much for the responses, lots of good advice. To be honest, I know it’s probably a job I should leave til later but think I’m looking for a bit of a project right now... Thank you!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,625
    Can we have some photos after you've finished please?
    Devon.