Forum home Plants

Advice please

s602015s602015 Posts: 6
Hi all,
I pre-ordered 20 bare rooted shrubs to be delivered at the end of November 2020 from Dobies.
I was notified a few days ago that they had been dispatched.
I tried to contact Dobies, but due to Covid-19, their phones are not manned.
I emailed a couple of times and just got the standard reply.
They came this afternoon and I am not impressed to be honest. Looks like they have been dug up and the foliage stripped prior to dispatch.
What should I do? as I have always planted bare rooted plants in the winter period.
Is it worth potting up and see what happens?

any advice very welcome

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,854
    I'd NOT be happy with those, nor indeed bare root plants this late in May
    Devon.
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 224
    it is sad to note that there are businesses that are using Covid19 as an excuse of their inefficiencies. 
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    In these troubled time where  I would like to think that we are not getting ripped of deliberately I would accept them, soak them in a bucket of water over night and plant them out.
    They look quite big for pots, maybe they would do better in the ground.

If it had been last year, I would have complained but places are hanging on by the skin of their teeth to stay afloat now.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    never knew there was an additional dobies - on top of the dobbies garden centers.

That seems like too much of a copied name. Surprised they can get away with it...
  • s602015s602015 Posts: 6
    Definitely Dobies. 
    Sutton seeds are at the same address so probably the same company.
    Lots of 1* reviews for Sutton seeds
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,408
    If you have somewhere you can plant them now, do that (as @Lyn describes) and see what happens. They might do OK, but if any of them don't thrive, take photos and email them again asking for replacements in Autumn (or a refund if you prefer).
    I would also email them now, expressing disappointment and telling them that you will be asking for refunds/replacements for any that don't thrive. There should be some guarantee and it's not your fault that they were sent at the wrong time of year.

Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained