Forum home Problem solving

Clematis problem

Does anyone know what is wrong with my clematis. It’s a large flowering kind, in a large pot on my terrace and looks like it might be dying. It started from the base of the plant, and at first I thought it was powdery mildew because I got a white powdery substance when I wiped it with my hand, but then I’m wondering if it’s the dreaded clematis wilt. None of the leave have turned black though. I’m hoping it’s not 😫

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    edited May 2020
    It'll be too dry. The powdery mildew is a symptom. 
    Even in the large container you have it in [well done!] they can become dry if not well watered, and it may well have gone short during that long, hot spell many areas had. I wouldn't be too worried just now, just give it plenty of water, and an extra layer of compost or mulch of some kind to help it retain that moisture.
    Just remove any dead foliage  :)

Is it Niobe? 

Should have added - wilt doesn't start like that, and very few clems actually get it  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    It'll be too dry. The powdery mildew is a symptom. 
    Even in the large container you have it in [well done!] they can become dry if not well watered, and it may well have gone short during that long, hot spell many areas had. I wouldn't be too worried just now, just give it plenty of water, and an extra layer of compost or mulch of some kind to help it retain that moisture.
    Just remove any dead foliage  :)

Is it Niobe? 

Should have added - wilt doesn't start like that, and very few clems actually get it  :)
    Thanks for your advice! I did add compost and mulched it and gave it a good drink. Fingers crossed it works! It’s clematis rosemoor.