Forum home Fruit & veg

Should I keep Olive tree in hessian sack in the sun?

Hi, I've been gifted an Olive and a bay tree. They came in hessian sacks (drawstring).

Can I keep them in their sacks? Or will the humidity to the soil produce mold/issues?

They are positioned in full sun. 

Thanks!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,952
    They need to be in pots, otherwise when you water them, the water will just pour out of the sacks.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • B3B3 Posts: 12,516
    I don't vthink they're intended it stay in the sacks. They're probably for decorative wrapping.. Are there pots under the sacks? I
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,213
    Yes the sacks are just a decorative way to wrap the rootball and keep the soil together during transport. You need to pot them up into pots at least half as much again diameter of the rootball and at least the same if not a bit more, height-wise. Without the sacks!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,194
    Go for very big pots.
  • chloesmith61chloesmith61 Posts: 27
    Thanks all!! I'll get repotting!! Do you know what type of soil is best?

The olive tree is currently in clay soil. 

I've taken the sacks off!! They still came with a pot - shame as the sacks did look nice! 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,213
    Olives do grow in clay soil in groves but usually on little raised mounds or on sloping fields to aid drainage. The latter is the key, so mix in plenty of grit to a potting soil like John Innes no. 3 (not multi purpose compost) or ordinary garden soil. Raise the pots off the ground on pot feet or bits of broken tile. Water very thoroughly once a week, maybe twice in hot weather, and allow the water to drain away out the bottom - hence the pot feet. Same with the bay tree. Lovely present, bu the way, enjoy!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,977
    Hello Chloe, Once you've repotted them, you could always wrap the hessian around the pot and tie with raffia or brown twine for the rustic look. I agree, the sacks do look nice.
    They won't last for long though as they tend to rot when wet.
    Thanks both! Can't wait to see them grow! 😁🙌

Hi! Do you think this pot is a little big? I may have gone a little too large 😬 I got one for both trees. 

Thanks!
  • B3B3 Posts: 12,516
    One each?
    The pot isn't too big for one.
    In London. Keen but lazy.