Forum home Plants

Choisya Sundance or cherry laurel for small hedge

amberspyamberspy Posts: 382
Now with back garden finished 
it’s time to sort one side of front garden which I’ve not done 
the front garden is is split into two with driveway on the right side 
the left side is done few years ago and has laurel hedge and plants in front of it 
other size is driveway and small strip of grass we going take grass at that side away and plant hedge ( the garden does have metal fence )
was going do same have laurel but was thinking of choisya sundance 
what would be a good choice it gets partial sun 

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,426
    Choysia will be fine in part sun, but might get too wide for the space, bearing in mind you need to plant it so that it won't overhang the fence (unless the neighbours are OK with it). It's not normally clipped into a hedge.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • amberspyamberspy Posts: 382
    @JennyJ thanks Jenny 
    no neighbours won’t mind so that’s bonus 
    it doesn’t need to actually form as i hedge as such 
    If we do choose choysia which think mite be lot better than laurel as we got at other side 
    not sure what variety to get eirther sundance or white dazzler 🤔
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    We love our Choisya Sundance, and have it quite formally clipped into a dome, but in my opinion it's best as a specimen plant.  It's a very strong yellow, and as a whole hedge, it might be a bit overpowering. 

Have you thought about doing a mixed hedge of species natural to the UK?  It would be softer on the eye, and better for nature.  You can buy them pre-selected, and as bare root plants they are relatively cheap.  Whatever you do, now is not the best time to plant, unless you want to water very regularly all Summer.  Best to plant in late Autumn.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,417
    I'd say anything but Cherry Laurel

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • amberspyamberspy Posts: 382
    @KeenOnGreen
    no not though of mixed hedge 
    but saying that it doesn’t have form as a hedge 
    it’s not a big garden at that side so one kind mite look ok as plan put some low height grasses in front of that 
    But I look into mixed kind 

@nutcutlet 😂😂😂
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,686
    If you're going with Choisya go with Aztec Pearl or White Dazzler. Bear in mind the spread of the plant, it doesn't really work as a clipped hedge although you can trim it over. But it wants to be a rounded shape, about 4ft across.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".