Forum home Plants

Is this Japanese Stiltgrass? 😱

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 964
    Hi, where are you? Ive never heard if it and had to look it up - don’t think we have japanese stilt grass here in the UK
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923
    edited May 2020
    Hi @alexajanecrow  😊 

Are you in Eastern Asia, South Eastern Asia, South Asia or the USA ?  That’s where Japanese Stiltgrass grows.

If you’re not in those places what makes you think that’s what it is?

A side view might help us provide an ID. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hello, no I’m London! I used a photo ID app which is usually very reliable and that’s what it said. Any ideas what it could be? It’s covering quite a large patch but I can’t remember exactly what seeds I threw down where...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923
    I thought it might have been an app ID. 

Can we see a photo or two showing the side view please ... that way we can see the way the stems grow. 

My first thought was that it might be redshank (polygonum persicaria) seedlings ... a common weed of newly disturbed ground, as their seeds can lie dormant for years. 

However if you scattered seed there we have more possibilities. If you can’t remember which seeds they were, some idea of the look you were aiming for might help? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Obviously there are a few other things nearby as well. Thanks for the help!
  • Could it be alstroemerias?