Forum home Problem solving

Honeysuckle - poorly

Hi,
Disclaimer: I’m not a gardener so any help is very much appreciated!
I am trying to help my dad after my mum passed away and I noticed that the honeysuckle is not looking happy. Please can somebody advise what is wrong and what we should do? I’m sorry if this is addressed elsewhere on the forums or if it is a very silly question. Many thanks in advance.

• TenNTenN Posts: 121
    Maybe aphids/greenfly. They won't kill it and there's a few ways to treat cheaply. If you've got a hose you can blast them off or get some water with a bit of washing up liquid in and spray on. That's if it is aphids.
  • Kipper82Kipper82 Posts: 4
    Thank you - that’s a start so we will try that later on!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557
    Yes ... aphids on the young growth .., blast them off with a hosepipe and at the same time give the roots a thorough soaking. Honeysuckle always needs lots of water at this time of year and it’ll make it healthier so it can withstand aphid attack. 

If you can’t use a hosepipe @nickten‘s suggestion if a weak dilution of washing up liquid sprayed on is a good one. 

Attracting birds to the garden by feeding them regularly is always a good idea as at this time of year they’ll be all over honeysuckle gathering aphids for their nestlings. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you so much - we will hose it down later on and give the roots a good soaking. It has been attracting some blue tits recently so that’s a start - we struggle to get the birds in because of wood pigeons but will keep trying!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    The blue tits will do a sterling job  :)
    If you are able - get a hanging feeder with a little bird seed or sunflower hearts, and pop it in or near the honeysuckle. That'll attract the little birds who are also feeding their families, and they'll feast on both  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557
    Best avoid the detergent spray then ... don’t want the bluetits feeding washing up liquid to the babies ... sounds as if they’ve got the matter in hand anyway 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks everybody - feel like I’ve got some things to try now and hopefully will get it sorted. And hopefully the blue tits will stay too. :)