Forum home Problem solving

Seaweed Feed

While watching gardeners World I notice that when Monty does his seaweed feed the water is very dark. Am I doing something wrong as I mix as it says on my bottle 15ml to 4.5ltrs water and it only tints the water . Either Monty uses a strong mix or I am doing it wrong . Help please.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,373
    Have you seen Monty measure it out? He just adds several glugs to the watering can.
    It depends what plants you're using it on.

This is the info for the extract I use from
    https://www.solabiol.com/en/maxicrop-original-seaweed-extract-1-lt 

Shake well before use Add required amount to water and stir well Apply using watering can or sprayer May be mixed with liquid or soluble feeds GERMINATING: Dilute 10 ml in 9 litres - Soak seeds for 12 hours before sowing PROPAGATING: Dilute 20 ml in 9 litres - Apply as a root drench each time water is needed TRANSPLANTING: Dilute 20 ml in 9 litres - Drench rootball in solution before planting out GROWING ON: Dilute 45 ml in 9 litres - Apply as a root drench or foliar spray, thoroughly wetting leaves, every 7 days MATURE PLANTS: Dilute 45 ml in 9 litres - Apply as a root drench or foliar spray, thoroughly wetting leaves, every 10 to 14 days during the growing season FRUIT CROPS: Dilute 45 ml in 9 litres - Spray several times before and during flowering to improve fruit set LAWNS AND TURF: Dilute 50ml in 9 litres per 20 sq.metres - Apply monthly during the growing season to aid turf health and stress resistance
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,793
    I was doing foliar feed today (Wilko seaweed food) and I couldn’t help wondering if it was doing any good, especially when spraying it on tulip leaves which immediately shed it with total nonchalance. I have to believe the experts who laud it - is there accessible evidence?

I imagine Monty’s feed might be home made and not seaweed but comfrey based. Sloshing is probably more the order of the day in this scenario.
    You can see the container that he uses is, as far as I can see, identical to the Maxicrop container.
    Geoff Hamilton used to spray the stuff with with wild abandon on his plants and veg too.

I use it as a soil drench and I believe that it keeps my plants healthier and stronger.
    It's full of good stuff, some of which may be missing from some soils
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    Pete.8 said:
     I believe that it keeps my plants healthier and stronger.
    So is that placebo or religion? :smiley:
    I also belong to the church of seaweed. I regularly dowse my plants in it, even stuff that are recommend not to fertilise, like ferns and clematis in bud/flower. 
    There's certainly some evidence that it helps plants but not as a fertiliser as such - although I've just found a site that claims its npk value is 1.9, 0.25, 3.68 (most proprietary brands claim anything  from 0-1 for n,p and k) so maybe I'll resist spraying my clems while they're in flower!
    :) There's good reason why it should work, it's full of nutrients that are vital for plants and may be missing from some soils. I've been using it for about 10 years now and overall I think I get better results. I also use seaweed meal around the garden - smells like being at the sea side :)
    It can't be sold as a fertilizer as the NPK elements from different batches of seaweed are too variable.
    Thumbs up there @Pete.8 I use meal as a mulch in my pots, and then I use a liquid seaweed concentrate (steeped with meal for a coupla weeks - I don't know if that makes any difference but I like it) then dilute it 50-75% for a foliar feed and cuttings wetter
    Good stuff @mikeymustard - now we have to convert the rest of the non-believers :)

• TimJamesTimJames YorkshirePosts: 36
    Pete.8 said:
    :) There's good reason why it should work, it's full of nutrients that are vital for plants and may be missing from some soils. I've been using it for about 10 years now and overall I think I get better results. I also use seaweed meal around the garden - smells like being at the sea side :)
    It can't be sold as a fertilizer as the NPK elements from different batches of seaweed are too variable.

And once the seaweed liquid is watered down (can be as much as 200 times) the amounts of NPK in it hardly exist.
    Homeopathic seaweed ? :)
    Pete.8 said:
    Homeopathic seaweed ? :)
    That's only if it's diluted by one drop per swimming pool isn't it? :smiley: