Forum home Wildlife gardening

Who dealt it?

The past couple of weeks someone has been leaving presents in our garden near our bird feeders.

They're pretty big (see photos below with a 4pt milk for scale) so I'm pretty sure it's not a bird or rodent.

We've pointed our motion sensor camera at the area and all it ever picks up are the usual birds, no foxes or cats as we suspected. 

Does anyone recognize it? 

It's happening almost every day now and it's getting a bit much.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,825
    Do you have any ducks around you? The mallards that come into my garden to glean under the bird feeders leave droppings like that.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 141
    Ladybird4 said:
    Do you have any ducks around you? The mallards that come into my garden to glean under the bird feeders leave droppings like that.
    Treeface said:
    I had a similar one 3 times the size of that and it was definitely a bird. Probably a red kite or a buzzard or something.
    No kites or buzzards have been captured by the camera. This seems to me to be far to big for any birds we know about that hang around here right now. It's at least the size of what cats do as far as I know. We do have wood pigeons around much more than usual, but I still think it looks far too big for them. 
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,825
    It is definitely droppings made by a bird.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 141
    Ladybird4 said:
    It is definitely droppings made by a bird.
    OK thanks. I'm really surprised. The bird is a true champion. We'll have to feed the pigeons something elsewhere then to stop them hanging around waiting for scraps to fall. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,307
    It’s definitely a bird. The white urea shows that much. 

Woodpigeons can produce a dropping large enough to almost obliterate the shoulder and most of the front of a large man’s shirt .., I’ve seen it happen.  And particularly at this time of the year ..... imagine you're a parent pigeon who’s been sitting and hardly moving on the nest all night, having filled your crop just before sunset the previous evening .. ....  The blackbirds start singing and wake you up, the sun comes up and you stretch your wings and legs and pop down to hoover up the spilled bird food around the bird table in a nearby garden ... how big a deposit do you think you might leave? 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    Looks like a duck or goose to me.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,307
    FlyDragon said:
    Nope ... it’s definitely a poo. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,093
    There’s a Rorschach test here, I think.

Pheasant poo?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    FlyDragon said:
    Nope ... it’s definitely a poo. 

Fair cop!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,093
    edited May 2020
    Big Bird.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.