Forum home Plants

Which plant is this 🤔

m_ali1986m_ali1986 Posts: 56

Hi all, 

Please can somebody tell me what the plant is to the right of the shovel?

I picked it from a different part of the garden, and planted it there, as I am making a flower border, and thought that would be nice amongst all the colourful flowers (hopefully).

Also any tips on how to look after it would be good.

Thanks.

• m_ali1986m_ali1986 Posts: 56
    Treeface said:
    Hard to tell without flowers, but with the flat blade leaves, my guess is crocosmia. I think I have some too! Not flowering, I hope it's what I think it is and I'm sure someone else will know. Hopefully we'll both get to enjoy some orange flowers later in the year!
    Thank you for yiur reply. I'm more intrigued than I was vefore as I thought it would just look the way it does at the moment, all year round. I certainly hope we both enjoy orange flowers. I'm looking forward to what others have to say now 🖒
    Treeface said:
    When you planted it there did you notice any bulbs? Mine were bulbs which is why I think they might be crocosmia. Cant' think of a bulb that just produces grass-like blades and nothing else.
    Hi, yes there were definitely bulbs as me and my nephew were laughing saying it looks like spring onion.

I'm a complete newbie, I haven't got the slightest clue so I'm with you on this one 🖒
  • If it is crocosmia then for that many leaves I assume there was more than one bulb. If so then you could split them up for a less congested display.
    Southampton 
    Mrs-R3 said:
    If it is crocosmia then for that many leaves I assume there was more than one bulb. If so then you could split them up for a less congested display.
    Thank you for your reply 😊

Yes there was definitely more than one bulb. 

I just dont remember ever seeing flowers but I have also never fed them.

Talking of feed, is there anything I should be doing? I have a bottle of Asda branded liquid feed concentrate if that is any good?

Cheers.