Forum home Plants

Can you identify this (gladioli-type perennial?)

Michael540Michael540 Posts: 12

Can anyone please identify this? It's about 12-18 inches high, with thin straight leaves like a crocosmia, and with beautiful yellow flowers that open a bit like a gladioli/freesia. It has just finished flowering (mid-May) and before the flowers opened they were yellow with a red strip along them.  Just appeared in our garden, never seen it before so don't know if it self-seeded? Intrigued......

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,574
    It looks like a day lily , hemerocallis, but if it is it's very early. Where are you?
  • Michael540Michael540 Posts: 12
    Thanks for your suggestions fidgetbones and Alan Clark2, but I'm pretty sure it's not a day lily.  It is smaller, and its blooms are more freesia-like.
    I live in the south coast and it has finished flowering now and all but disappeared.  Will see if it comes back again next spring and try to capture photos before the flowers open (it had rolled up yellow flowers with a red stripe down the side - really striking).
    And more suggestions from anyone then let me know.
    Cheers, Michael
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,856
    I'd say hemerocallis too. 
    My Golden chimes has been in flower for almost a fortnight now
    Devon.
  • Michael540Michael540 Posts: 12
    Thank you Hostafan1 - yes, it's definitely some kind of hemerocallis, having looked at images of "Golden chimes".
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    Clearer pics..just showing flowers would really help.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .